Last Thursday, Adult Swim’s newest show Black Jesus premiered and brought in over two million viewers, as well as an onslaught of criticism for an unorthodox depiction of Jesus Christ.
In fact, the Christian Network has even gone so far as to create a petition on Change.org to prevent the series from airing.
Despite the controversy swirling around another Aaron McGruder genius creation, it’s actually a solid show. If you aren’t watching Black Jesus, here are 10 reasons why you should.
1. Charlie Murphy makes his return to TV.
2. Aaron McGruder’s genius makes up for the disappointing mediocre fourth season of The Boondocks.
3. There’s no funnier show on television at the moment.
4. Black Jesus actually has a positive message about spreading love and kindness.
5. There are bottles of Olde English 40 ounces in almost every scene.
6. The satire is brilliantly funny.
7. For the first time in over 2000 years, there is a non-white portrayal of Jesus. Amen.
8. It has an old school 1970s theme song as its intro.
9. It’s the perfect show to watch right before turning up or turning down on a Thursday night.
10. Did we mention it was hilarious?
Watch Black Jesus every Thursday night on Adult Swim at 11 p.m. EST.
PHOTO SOURCE: Giphy.com