Eric Garner‘s daughter Erica led an emotional protest in Staten Island this week, as she lay in the exact spot where her father was placed in a chokehold and killed by NYPD officer Daniel Pantaleo.
Erica held a vigil and die-in on Thursday for her late father. The 24-year-old promised to protest twice a week to keep her father’s name alive and inspire a sense of justice amid the tragedy. As supporters lay alongside her in the street, Erica stationed herself in front of the corner store where Eric was placed in a chokehold.
Erica says she hopes to gain more support through social media. Earlier this week, the Brooklyn Nets wore t-shirts featuring Garner’s final words “I Can’t Breathe,” and her younger brother Eric Garner Jr. stood with Russell Simmons outside of City Hall on Wednesday.
“Support me getting justice for my father, and keeping the story alive and keeping my father’s memory alive,” Erica said. “Whatever images you see on TV isn’t the one who raised me.”
Eric Garner’s widow Esaw wasn’t at the die-in, but previously stated she wouldn’t accept Pantaleo’s apology for taking her husband’s life. Even though this was the first time the world has seen Erica publicly honor her father, she says she’s come to the spot every Tuesday and Thursday. Regardless if the cameras continue to follow her, Erica won’t stop paying tribute to her father.
SOURCE: Complex | PHOTO CREDIT: Twitter
"I Can't Breathe!" Sports Players Who Stand In Solidarity With Eric Garner, Mike Brown Protesters (PHOTOS)
10 photos Launch gallery
1. Kobe Bryant and most of his Los Angeles Lakers teammates rocked "I Can't Breathe" t-shirts during pre-game warmups before taking a win against the Sacramento Kings.
1 of 10
2. Brooklyn Nets players Kevin Garnett, Deron Williams, Jarrett Jack, Alan Anderson, and Cavaliers guard Kyrie Irving were spotted with "I Can't Breathe" t-shirts during a Monday night game in Brooklyn. Here, they pose with rapper Jay Z.
2 of 10
3. Cleveland Browns cornerback Johnson Bademosi rocks an “I Can’t Breathe” shirt during warm-ups before a Sunday game.
3 of 10
4. St. Louis Rams players Jared Cook and wide receivers Stedman Bailey, Tavon Austin, Chris Givens, and Kenny Britt take part in the silent demonstration with their "Hands Up!" on the field to protest police violence.
4 of 10
5. Cleveland Cavalier LeBron James wears an "I can't breathe" tee in honor of Eric Garner, a 43-year-old grandfather choked to death by an NYPD officer.
5 of 10
6. Soccer player Anthony Ujah showed his support for Eric Garner after scoring a goal.
6 of 10
7. Cleveland Cavalier LeBron James wears an "I can't breathe" tee in honor of Eric Garner, a 43-year-old grandfather choked to death by an NYPD officer.
7 of 10
8. Detroit Lions' Reggie Bush decided to wear a warm-up shirt with the phrase “I can’t breathe” scrawled over the front as a way to protest the death of Eric Garner and challenge police violence nationwide.
8 of 10
9. During the warm-up session for the Chicago vs. Golden State game, Chicago Bulls superstar Derrick Rose was seen rocking a t-shirt that read “I Can’t Breathe,” in honor of Eric Garner.
9 of 10
10. St. Louis Rams offensive lineman Davin Joseph wrote Garner’s last words on his cleats ahead of a game against the Washington Redskins.
10 of 10