President Obama will make history by becoming the first sitting president to visit Cuba in almost nine decades. According to an Obama administration official, the president will make his trip sometime within the next few weeks. The trip is part of a larger Latin American tour; more details will be revealed on Thursday. The last president to visit Cuba was Calvin Coolidge, who spoke at the 1928 Pan-American Conference. President Obama and Cuban President Raul Castro said they would work towards repairing the relationship between the two countries. The two met last April for their first official meeting to restore diplomatic relations that were severed in 1961. Read more.
President Obama Will Not Attend Justice Antonin Scalia’s Funeral
According to the White House, President Obama will not be present at Justice Antonin Scalia‘s funeral on Saturday. Despite missing the ceremony, he will say his goodbyes to Scalia on Friday; his body currently lies in the Great Hall of the Supreme Court. “The president will pay his respects at the Supreme Court on Friday and he’ll be joined with the first lady when he does that,” said White House press secretary Josh Earnest. Vice President Joe Biden will attend the funeral, which will be held at the Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception. On Saturday night, President Obama reflected on Justice Scalia’s legacy. “He will no doubt be remembered as one of the most consequential judges and thinkers to serve on the Supreme Court,” he said. He also referred to him as a “brilliant legal mind.” Scalia died unexpectedly on Saturday. He was 79. Read more.
Nevada Rancher Cliven Bundy Indicted for 2014 Standoff
Cliven Bundy, a Nevada rancher who was involved in a standoff on federal land back in 2014, was indicted for obstruction of justice, conspiracy, and assault of a federal officer on Wednesday. According to the U.S. Attorney’s Office in Nevada, Bundy and four other people were slapped with 16 federal charges related to the incident. Bundy was reportedly trespassing onto federal lands for over two decades, allowing his cattle to roam without permits or paying mandatory government fees. “Persons who use force and violence against federal law enforcement officers who are enforcing court orders, and nearly causing catastrophic loss of life or injury to others, will be brought to justice,” said U.S. Attorney Daniel Bogden in a statement. Read more.
Bobbi Kristina Brown’s Estate Files Lawsuit Against Family
Although Bobbi Kristina Brown has passed on, the drama surrounding her family continues. Bedelia Hargrove, her estate administrator, has filed a lawsuit against Brown’s grandmother Cissy Houston and her aunt Pat Houston, claiming they are guilty of “breach of trust” because they are allegedly not paying the costs of the estate. “Respondents are impairing and impeding the proper administration of the estate. To date, the respondents have failed and refused to pay any expenses of administration of the estate after proper and repeated demands from the petitioner,” read a complaint that Hargrove filed at the Fulton County Superior Court. This is the second lawsuit that’s surfaced since Bobbi Kristina died on July 26, 2015. Her estate is also suing boyfriend Nick Gordon for wrongful death. The Houston family has yet to comment on the situation. Read more.
VIDEO SOURCE: Inform
21 Of President Barack Obama's Best Photos Of 2015
1. JANUARY: President Obama delivers the State of the Union address with the support of vice president Joe Biden. Obama gained mass support after his joke about winning both terms.Source:Getty 1 of 21
2. JANUARY: President Barack Obama has an adorable moment with Akira Cooper at the Community Children's Center, one of the nation's oldest Head Start providers, in Lawrence, Kan.Source:Pete Souza 2 of 21
3. JANUARY: President Obama greets Prime Minister Narendra Modi upon arrival at Air Force Station Palam in New Delhi, India.Source:Pete Souza 3 of 21
4. JANUARY: President Barack Obama greets neighbors after visiting a model home at the Nueva Villas at Beverly, a single-family housing development owned by local nonprofit organization Chicanos Por La Causa Inc. in Phoenix, Ariz.Source:Pete Souza 4 of 21
5. FEBRUARY: President Barack Obama fakes a jump shot during an Affordable Care Act video taping for BuzzFeed in the White House Library. The video went viral thanks to jokes about his presidency and ultra-cool swag.Source:Pete Souza 5 of 21
6. FEBRUARY: Obama pals around with one of his biggest supporters, vice president Joe Biden. While he chose not to run in the 2016 presidential election, Obama said he would be in his corner.Source:Pete Souza 6 of 21
7. FEBRUARY: President Barack Obama talks with 13-year-old student Vidal Chastanet as "Humans of New York" founder Brandon Stanton photographs during a blog interview in the Oval Office. Obama was greatly inspired by Chastanet's comments on the popular "Humans of New York" Instagram page, where he shared his troubles finding courage in school and and life despite living in a dangerous area of Brooklyn, NY.Source:Pete Souza 7 of 21
8. MARCH: President Barack Obama and First Lady Michelle Obama join hands with Rep. John Lewis, D-Ga. as they lead the walk across the Edmund Pettus Bridge to commemorate the 50th Anniversary of Bloody Sunday and the Selma to Montgomery civil rights marches, in Selma, Ala., March 7, 2015. Malia and Sasha Obama join hands with their grandmother, Marian Robinson.Source:Pete Souza 8 of 21
9. MARCH: Obama is a classic man as he puts on a green tie in observance of St. Patrick's Day.Source:Pete Souza 9 of 21
10. MARCH: President Barack Obama delivers remarks during the event to commemorate the 50th Anniversary of Bloody Sunday and the Selma to Montgomery civil rights marches at the Edmund Pettus Bridge in Selma, Ala.Source:Pete Souza 10 of 21
11. APRIL: During the Correspondents' Dinner, his anger translator - played by Key & Peele comedian Keegan-Michael Key - helped Obama get out his biggest frustrations.Source:Pete Souza 11 of 21
12. APRIL: President Obama arrives in Jamaica to meet with the 15-member Caribbean Community. His trip marked a first for the sitting president and second since the country's independence.Source:Getty 12 of 21
13. APRIL: Obama speaks with newly appointed Attorney General Loretta Lynch in the Oval Office.Source:Pete Souza 13 of 21
14. JUNE: President Obama and German Chancellor Angela Merkel are seen talking during the president's trip to the G7Summit in Bavaria, Germany.Source:Getty 14 of 21
15. JUNE: President Obama sings "Amazing Grace" during the eulogy for South Carolina state senator and Rev. Clementa Pinckney during Pinckney's funeral service. Clementa was one of the nine victims who died after suspected shooter Dylann Roof entered the AME church and opened fire.Source:Getty 15 of 21
16. SEPTEMBER: President Obama is featured on the popular show "Running Wild With Bear Grylls." Obama took the trip to highlight the importance of climate control.Source:Getty 16 of 21
17. SEPTEMBER: The First Couple serve as "love goals" at the White House's state dinner for Chinese President Xi Jinping and his wife Madame Peng Liyuan. Obama and Xi announced an agreement on controlling climate change and a mutual outlook on cyber security.Source:Getty 17 of 21
18. OCTOBER: President Obama meets with Ahmed Mohamed, the student who was detained by Texas police for his homemade clock. The president stood by the teen, who many believe was the victim of Islamophobia.Source:Getty 18 of 21
19. NOVEMBER: President Obama issues a warning to his critics who "pop off" at his policies towards Syrian refugees. Speaking at the OP 21 United Nations conference on climate change, Obama welcomed his Republican critics to the White House to lay down their own policies. No one has responded.Source:Getty 19 of 21
20. DECEMBER: President Obama addresses the public from the Oval Office regarding the San Bernardino shooting.Source:Getty 20 of 21
21. DECEMBER: All grown up! The First Family, including Obama's mother-in-law Marian Robinson, is seen at the White House's national Christmas tree lighting ceremony on Dec. 2.Source:Getty 21 of 21
NEWS ROUNDUP: President Obama To Visit Cuba, Will Not Attend Scalia’s Funeral…AND MORE was originally published on newsone.com