The family of a Chicago man, who was tased as he was dragged from his holding cell by Chicago police, is slated to receive $4.9 million from the city in a settlement reached with Mayor Rahm Emanuel‘s administration.
In December 2012, police used a taser on Philip Coleman, 38, after he suffered a mental breakdown the evening before the encounter, during which he allegedly assaulted his mother.
The deal was reached on Feb. 19, just a few months after video footage of Coleman’s death was revealed to the public.
Writes the Chicago Tribune:
Coleman died after a fatal reaction to an antipsychotic drug, but an autopsy showed he had experienced severe trauma, including more than 50 bruises and abrasions on his body from the top of his head to his lower legs.
The video shows police repeatedly using a Taser on Coleman and dragging him out of a South Side lockup cell by his arms while handcuffed.
Coleman’s family alleged that police also shocked him 13 times with a Taser at Roseland Community Hospital and struck him repeatedly with a baton.
The city is under increased scrutiny after officials agreed last April to pay $5 million to the family of Laquan McDonald, 17, whose police-involved death was also captured on video, the report says. The footage shows Jason Van Dyke shooting the teen 16 times as he walked away from officers with a knife in his hand.
SOURCE: Chicago Tribune | PHOTO CREDIT: Getty
Top 11 Political Moments Of 2015
1. Loretta Lynch Confirmed As U.S. Attorney GeneralSource:Getty 1 of 11
2. Supreme Court Legalizes Same-Sex MarriageSource:Getty 2 of 11
3. Confederate Flag Removed From South Carolina StatehouseSource:Thinkstock 3 of 11
4. Hillary Clinton Announces Second Presidential BidSource:Getty 4 of 11
5. President Barack Obama Defends Black Lives MatterSource:Getty 5 of 11
6. President Obama Visits PrisonSource:Getty 6 of 11
7. U.S. and Cuba Restore Diplomatic Relations.Source:Getty 7 of 11
8. DOJ Announces Probe Of Chicago PoliceSource:Getty 8 of 11
9. President Barack Obama Sings "Amazing Grace"Source:Getty 9 of 11
10. Vice President Joe Biden Almost Ran for PresidentSource:Getty 10 of 11
11. Bernie Sanders Sick of Clinton's EmailsSource:Getty 11 of 11
$4.9 Million Deal Reached With Family Of Chicago Man Dragged & Tased By Cops was originally published on newsone.com