The New York City Police Department docked two vacation days from Officer Daniel Pantaleo for an incident prior to his fatal encounter with Eric Garner, the New York Daily News reports.
In June 2012, more than two years before choking Garner, Pantaleo conducted what the department ruled in March 2015 was an unnecessary stop-and-frisk. However, police officials did not find him guilty of an unjustified stop, according to the Daily News.
The newspaper quoted a personnel order that said the officer abused “his authority in that he frisked a person known to the department without sufficient legal authority.” It was dated Feb. 26.
Normally, the department makes these types of decisions public within weeks of the ruling. But in this case, it took police officials nearly a year to release the information, the Daily News noted.
A police spokesman blamed the delay on a backlog, the newspaper said.
Meanwhile, Pantaleo faces federal charges for violating Garner’s civil rights. In December 2014, a Staten Island grand jury declined to indict the officer on criminal charges related to the choking death of Garner, who was suspected of selling untaxed loose cigarettes.
SOURCE: New York Daily News | PHOTO CREDIT: Getty
Top 11 Political Moments Of 2015
1. Loretta Lynch Confirmed As U.S. Attorney GeneralSource:Getty 1 of 11
2. Supreme Court Legalizes Same-Sex MarriageSource:Getty 2 of 11
3. Confederate Flag Removed From South Carolina StatehouseSource:Thinkstock 3 of 11
4. Hillary Clinton Announces Second Presidential BidSource:Getty 4 of 11
5. President Barack Obama Defends Black Lives MatterSource:Getty 5 of 11
6. President Obama Visits PrisonSource:Getty 6 of 11
7. U.S. and Cuba Restore Diplomatic Relations.Source:Getty 7 of 11
8. DOJ Announces Probe Of Chicago PoliceSource:Getty 8 of 11
9. President Barack Obama Sings "Amazing Grace"Source:Getty 9 of 11
10. Vice President Joe Biden Almost Ran for PresidentSource:Getty 10 of 11
11. Bernie Sanders Sick of Clinton's EmailsSource:Getty 11 of 11
NYPD Previously Disciplined Cop Who Choked Eric Garner was originally published on newsone.com