Solange Knowles sure knows how to get her point across.
The singer published an eye-opening essay about being a person of color in a predominately White environment. The heartfelt post comes after Solo had a lime thrown at her because she was dancing at a Kraftwerk concert with her family.
Following the incident, which took place last Friday in New Orleans where Solange resides, she tweeted:
Solo presented her piece on Twitter, linking it to her website:
In the essay, the revolutionary beauty writes, “You inhale deeply. Your husband calmly asks the group of women did they just throw trash at you. One woman says, ‘I just want to make it clear, I was not the one who yelled those horrible, nasty things at you.’ Loud enough for you to hear. This leads you to believe they were saying things way worse than what you heard, but you are not surprised at that part one bit.”
She continued, “You and your friends have been called the N word, been approached as prostitutes, and have had your hair touched in a predominately white bar just around the corner from the same venue. You’d like to use the classic ‘I have many white friends’ line to prove that you do not dislike white people but dislike the way that many white people are constantly making you feel. To combat headlines like ‘Solange feels uncomfortable with white people’ but know that there is no amount of explaining that you will do to get through to this type of person in the first place.”
Ms. Knowles ended the piece on a positive note, saying, “After you think it all over, you know that the biggest payback you could ever had (after, go figure, they then decided they wanted to stand up and dance to songs they liked) was dancing right in front of them with my hair swinging from left to right, my beautiful black son and husband, and our dear friend Rasheed jamming the hell out with the rhythm our ancestors blessed upon us saying…We belong. We belong. We belong. We built this.”
Check out Solange’s full essay here.
SOURCE: Saintheron.com | PHOTO CREDIT: Getty, Twitter
30 Times Solange Knowles Slayed The Fashion Game
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Solange Knowles puts a spin on all white for her wedding.
1 of 30
2. The slayage needs a moment.
2 of 30
3. She really pulled no punches at the 2016 Met Gala.
3 of 30
4. Solange shows off her long legs in a colorful 'fit she paired with natural locks.
4 of 30
5. Stunning at the 2012 Met Gala.
5 of 30
6. Baby in blue.
6 of 30
7. What style, what a smile.
7 of 30
8. Solo goes braless at the 2016 Regent Street Flagship store opening in London.
8 of 30
9. She even slays her everyday 'fits.
9 of 30
10. When your style comes in different shapes and sizes.
10 of 30
11. Carven fashion show in Paris.
11 of 30
12. Solange kills all white at the 'Gloss: The Work Of Chris Von Wangenheim' Book Launch Party.
12 of 30
13. She's always ready for her close-up.
13 of 30
14. Solange goes floral with a red lippie.
14 of 30
15. Front row at the 2016 Prabal Gurung NY Fashion Week show.
15 of 30
16. Solo's got many talents - getting the party live is one of 'em.
16 of 30
17. Pretty in pink.
17 of 30
18. Seriously gorgeous at this year's NY Fashion Week.
18 of 30
19. She always shows out for her man.
19 of 30
20 of 30
21. Solange's color palette knows no bounds.
21 of 30
22. A close-up of Solo show-stopping in L.A.
22 of 30
23. Pretty in purple.
23 of 30
24. Solo embraces NY's Spring weather in a casual, but super cute 'fit.
24 of 30
25. Bonnaroo looks good on baby girl.
25 of 30
26. Look at her rock the 2013 Bonnaroo Music And Arts Festival stage.
26 of 30
27. Glamour girl.
27 of 30
28. Can you handle it?
28 of 30
29. Money green at the 55th Annual GRAMMY Awards.
29 of 30
30. Pure perfection.
30 of 30